- 1/3 bar good dark chocolate (I used Green & Black's Maya Gold)
- 1 bottle dark beer (in this case, Bell's Porter)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 Anaheim peppers, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, chopped
- 2 Chipotle peppers, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, in 1" cubes (or whatever other meat you like)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- t tbsp sunflower or canola oil
- 1/2 cup water or stock
- Over low heat in large saucepan (one that has a lid), melt chocolate
- When chocolate is melted, add a few ounces beer and peppers; raise heat to low-medium and cook for 5-10 minutes
- Add onions, oil and a few more ounces beer; cook for 3-5 min.
- Add garlic, spices, remainder of beer and raise to simmer, mixing well
- Add tomatoes, mix thoroughly and cover; cook 15 min.
- Add water or stock and meat; cover and cook, stirring periodically, until chicken is tender (this will take a while, probably 45 min. or so – use this time to cook some rice!)
Really good. Rich, spicy, tasty. A perfectly acceptable alternative to driving up to DC for mole.