- 12 oz. tofu, cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. lemongrass powder
- 1 tsp. five-spice powder
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 8 oz. dried Thai rice noodes, linguini-width
- 2 stalks lemongrass OR 2 tbsp. lemongrass powder
- 6 c. veggie stock
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk green garlic, bulb minced and stalk sliced
- 1 spring onion, bulb minced and stalk sliced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets including stems
- 1 1/2 c. cabbage of some sort, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- Combine soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1 tsp. lemongrass powder and five-spice powder in spouted cup; pour over tofu in mixing bowl and mix with plastic spoon, covering tofu completely. Chill in fridge for at least half an hour.
- Dunk noodles in a pot of boiling water, cover the pot and turn off the heat; allow the noodles to soften in the hot water for 10 min.; drain and set aside.
- Put 1 tsp. sesame oil in wide skillet and heat to medium-low; sauteé tofu until slightly browned on all sides and firm, and set aside.
- Put 1 tsp. sesame oil in a medium-large soup pot and heat to medium-low;
- Add ginger, garlic and spring onion bulbs, carrots and lemongrass (include left-over stalk pieces if using fresh), and sauteé until fragrant.
- Add stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 min.
- Add broccoli and cabbage; stir and allow to simmer 2 min.
- Reduce heat to minimum and add the tofu, garlic and spring onion stalk, and fish sauce; cook for several minutes.
- Ladle noodles into bowls and serve soup on top.
Fantastic - fresh and very flavorful.