- 1 chicken (3-4 lbs.), cut into 9 pieces [I used four thighs and four drumsticks, instead]
- 1 c. buttermilk [no buttermilk available - I used 1 c. whole milk with 1 tbs. lemon juice, let it sit for 5 min. to curdle]
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper [I also added 1 tsp. red pepper]
- 1 c. lard [yes - this is important. Duck fat or schmaltz can also do][see also more on LARD]
- 1 1/2 c. peanut oil [I used corn oil instead]
- Put the chicken pieces in a glass or stainless steel bowl and toss with the buttermilk - marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours [next time I may also add 1 tbsp. hot sauce to the buttermilk for spicier chicken]
- Combine flour, salt and pepper(s) in a large paper bag
- Preheat lard and oil in deep cast iron skillet on medium-high heat to 375F (190C)
- Drop the chicken pieces into the paper bag, shaking well to coat evenly with the seasoned flour
- Add dark meat pieces to the skillet first, skin side down, followed by white meat pieces
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and fry for 15 min.
- Remove cover, turn each piece, and fry for another 10-15 min.
- Remove chicken and let drain in a second paper bag
- Serve and enjoy! (preferably with biscuits and greens)