- Big pot of chicken stock, chilled, filtered, cooked way down
- 1 lb. carrots, chopped
- 3/4 lb. celery, chopped
- 1-2 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, de-skinned and -boned
- Make the stock in advance. Don't even think about using stock from a can. Chill it overnight, skim, and store outside of main pot.
- Heat oil (or schmaltz if you've got it) in large pot
- Add carrots, celery and onions, and cook 10 min. over low heat, mixing frequently
- Add a few cups of the stock, filtering again as you do, to cover the veggies, and raise to simmer
- When simmering, add chicken thighs and cover. Cook 15-20 min.
- Uncover and add remainder of stock, and raise to medium boil
- Add matzoh balls to pot and cook 15 min.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 4 matzoh or 1 cup matzoh meal
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbs. chicken stock
- 4 tbs. vegetable oil or schmaltz
- Pepper to taste
- Add eggs, stock and fat to large bowl; mix thoroughly
- Mix matzoh thoroughly in food processor [unnecessary if you're using matzoh meal]
- Add matzoh or meal to large bowl and pepper as necessary; mix until combined and unyielding
- Let sit for 15-20 min. to allow everything to absorb
- Fill bowl of water to allow for hand-wetting
- When soup is at medium boil, form matzoh balls with hands and drop in gently, wetting hands between
- Allow to cook for 15 min.; serve and enjoy!
Pretty damn good! Need to get the real recipe, next time.