While making Bill Smith's collards (cribbed from the excellent Holy Smoke), I decided to nose about for some other recipes and found a perfect one at the Southern Foodways Alliance, given that I have two green tomatoes and am doing Mexican pork tomorrow.
- 2 green (unripe) tomatoes
- 1/2 c. white cornmeal
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Canola oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4" slices and salt both sides.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1/4” oil over medium-low heat in a frying pan.
- Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mixture, coating both sides generously.
- Fry in batches in oil until golden brown and tomatoes are softened.
- Drain on paper towels.