- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 6 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 4 mackerel fillets, ~1 lb. total, skin on
- In a 12-inch skillet with a cover, mix together all ingredients except fish.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Add fish skin-side down and simmer until cooked through, 7-10 minutes - once the fish turns opaque, poke it with a small sharp knife. When the point meets little resistance entering the thickest part, the fish is done.
- Spoon a fillet and some sauce onto a mound of rice