A big success this evening, using one of Marcella Hazan's recipes and one of my own devising.
Sautéed Scallops with Rosemary and Lemon
- 1 1/2 lbs. scallops (bay, or sliced small if sea scallops)
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary
- black pepper
- 2 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Wash scallops and pat dry with a towel
- Put oil and garlic in skillet large enough to accommodate all scallops in one layer; turn on heat to medium
- When garlic turns a pale gold, add rosemary
- Stir quickly, add scallops, salt and grindings of pepper, and turn up heat to medium-high
- Cook, stirring frequently, for ~2 min. until scallops turn from translucent to flat white
- Add lemon juice, turn heat to highest setting, stir once or twice and serve
Just fantastic. Make sure you serve over a pasta that will take the sauce well. Parmesan a good addition on top.
Asparagus with Shallots and Garlic in White Wine Sauce
- 1 lb. asparagus, tips trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- Heat butter on medium, until melted, in large sautée pan with lid
- Add garlic, cook until fragrant
- Add shallots, cook until translucent
- Add olive oil and cover all of pan
- Add salt and pepper grindings, and then half of the wine
- When wine is cooked halfway down, add asparagus and stir thoroughly
- Add remainder wine and lemon juice
- When sauce begins to simmer, cover pan and steam for 2-3 min.
- Transfer to serving dish, serve and enjoy!
Again, great. Also make sure you use the sauce, it's killer, and combines well with the above. I used capellini and that worked excellently. Parmesan on top is good, too.