I've been itching for an excuse to fire up my ibrik ever since I found one at PTA Thrift, and the opportunity came this week when I got some super-dark-roasty coffee. I searched around for a good cardamom-blend recipe and this one seemed good:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon of extra finely ground coffee (powder consistency)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar [might double this next time]
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in ibrik.
- Remove from heat and add coffee and cardamom.
- Return ibrik to heat and allow to come to a boil. Remove from heat when coffee foams. [This happens very quickly – make sure to pay attention]
- Again, return to heat, allowing to foam and remove from heat.
- Pour into cup, and allow to sit for a few minutes for the grounds to settle to the bottom of the cup. Cardamom pod may be served in cup for added flavor.
I won't pretend that I'm up to the standards of dar-al-Islam, and I probably need to amp up the sugar (the cardamom pod also sounds like a good idea), but this is a damn tasty cuppa. Great for dark roasts, and makes me think again about getting a proper Turkish grinder from Mariakakis'.
UPDATE: For cup two, added more sugar and the cardamom pod. Zing! Very very tasty. Thinking now maybe add a little chili powder? Or maybe add some of the chili schnapps for a caffé corretto-style business.