- 1.5 blocks tofu, extra firm
- 6 spring onions
- 4 small dried peppers
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chili-garlic sauce
- splash of chili Madeira (optional, obviously)
- soy sauce
- high-temp oil (I used canola - use peanut, or whatever you've got, just not olive)
- 4 tbsp. flour/2 tbsp. corn starch (which I didn't have)
- Chop/dice garlic and set aside
- Dice spring onions into 1/2" pieces and set aside
- Crush dried chilis with sugar and set aside
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and leave to steep in hot — but not boiling — water that you’ve gently salted.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce and stir-fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Pour in the tofu with about half the water and cook for a minute or so.
- Add garlic, cook for another minute
- Add the sugar, chilis, madeira and soy sauce
- Cover and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the spring onions, mixing until covered and continue to simmer for another two minutes or so.
- Add the flour gradually so it's evenly absorbed
- Serve over rice, and enjoy!
Needed a little soy sauce to finish it off but then - truly excellent. Nice burn but not too much. Perfect comfort food.