28 January 2010

Empty the pantry

With my imminent departure, I've been trying to use up as much as I can from my pantry. Last night the almond flour caught my eye, and I remembered I hadn't baked anything in a while.

Of course, the pantry already had been dwindling, so the process called for many adaptations. And again I felt like I could handle a lot of experimentation on such a basic recipe. Here's what happened:

Ingredients
-2 cups flour ----> replaced by 2 cups almond flour
-1 TBS baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 large egg
-1 cup sugar ----> replaced by a 1/4 cup of brown sugar and two drops of stevia
-4 TBS butter ----> replaced by 4 or 5 TBS of coconut oil (I lost count)
-1 and 1/4 cup sour cream ----> all I had was Salvadorian ricotta
-1 and 1/2 cup blueberries ----> I hate blueberries, so I replaced it with chocolate and walnuts, about a handful.

Procedure
350F - non-stick spray - 25 min
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg (20 seconds), add the sugar, whisk another 30 seconds, add gradually the oil, the sour cream. Add the blueberries/chocolate/walnuts/whatever to the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, combine without overmixing.

Verdict
"Bof". Just maybe a bit too much experimenting in this case. Maybe it was that the non-stick spray was done and I used spray olive oil for the muffin pan. Maybe it was excess coconut oil (they sure are moist though). Maybe the almond flour just by itself isn't all that great for muffins. They also crumbled a bit, was the egg too little? Whatever the reason, the tweaked recipe needs more tweaking, back in the direction where it originally was.

No comments: