29 December 2009

Marinated Black-Eyed Peas

Tasty-looking local black-eyed peas at the Weave and a lovely-looking recipe from my Southern Living 1982 cookbook (modified a bit):

Ingredients

  • 12-16 oz. black-eyed peas (fresh, rehydrated-and-boiled, canned)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1/8 c. vinegar (your choice – I mixed red wine, white wine and some balsamic)
  • 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • several dashes hot sauce

Procedure

  1. In large container with cover, add peas, then onion and garlic, mixing well
  2. In separate measuring cup, combine and mix liquid ingredients and salt
  3. Pour liquid over peas &c. and mix well
  4. Cover and refrigerate three days
  5. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Claire said...

I miss-read the recipe and did it with dried black-eyed peas. It did seem a bit strange to me as I read it, but I've read stranger things, so paid no heed. Verdict: stick the rehydrated and boiled beans, the dry ones will get you nowhere...