19 December 2008

Pickled Radishes

At the market yesterday, I needed to pick up some onions and carrots, the former because I'm out and the latter as I'm gearing up to make the Chick Pea Soup recipe from Brooklyn food confederates 30 Bucks a Week. I'm not much of a fan of carrots on their own so I thought about the other uses that I could put the surplus carrots to and it occurred to me that pickles would be the way to go. Sandwhich makes a lovely pickled carrot and I might need to go there just to have some so I can backwards engineer.

So it was with pickles on my mind that I stumbled upon radishes bagged up and priced to move, past their sell-by dates. I love radishes in pretty much any form, and have had some excellent Asian radish pickles, so this seemed like a perfectly fortuitous set of circumstances.

I saved the pickling for the end of a productive evening of cooking (burrito assemblage, in part), and it was a snap. I pulled together a semi-consensus of online recipes and added a couple of twists; haven't had them yet - letting them steep in the fridge for a bit - but they sure look pretty.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups radishes, sliced, ends removed
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tblsp salt
  • several dashes herbs of choice
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 8 cloves

Procedure

  1. Slice radishes; set aside
  2. Place one clove garlic and four cloves in each of two medium mason jars; slice open garlic a bit if it's a large clove
  3. Combine vinegar, salt and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. I only had turbinado sugar so I needed to put it on the stove at low heat for a while to get the big crystals dissolved; fine processed sugar should dissolve with a whisk
  4. Add herbs to vinegar mixture
  5. Pour vinegar mixture over radishes in a large bowl; stir until all are covered
  6. Transfer radishes to jars, and then cover with vinegar mixture. Top off each bottle with enough white vinegar to cover the radishes
  7. Put in fridge, let sit for a couple hours/days, and enjoy!

UPDATE:
The radishes are outstanding. Just really, really tasty.

No comments: